And You Say You Never Pirated Music


Long before Spotify began bombarding us with its corny, annoying ads, consumption of music was supplemented by the many music piracy sites, many of which no longer exist. 


Just the other day, I was decluttering an old, 8GB memory card when I came across the 'My Music' folder. Opening it felt like being greeted with the same feeling of ecstasy that hits you when you discover an old DVD from a pile of dusty old souvenirs. I gladly dived into its wistful warmth, scrolling through the tons of tracks in the folder, downloaded from various websites (some with rather strange names), spanning across different genres, artists, and of course, file sizes. 


The lack of interminable internet availability back in middle school meant that I had to consistently stock up on offline downloads for those midnight jamming sessions on my old Nokia Lumia. 



Youtube to Mp3 was a hot favorite. Often long minutes of searching (in vain) for the right download button on mp3 piracy sites would force the teen music connoisseur to resort to Good Ol' Youtube. Unlike now, when can you stream your favorite band's latest release seconds after it hits the world wide web, back then (I might have just spoken like our parents when they describe their strenuous schoolgoing journeys), I would indulge in blissful moments of scrolling through music blogs, many of which would contain direct links to download the tracks. 


Then there were those snatches of tunes recorded off FM Players in between talk shows and traffic updates. Be it the latest Bollywood number or the last few lines of an old favorite, I would waste no time in pressing the record button in hopes of eternalizing a few seconds of eargasm before the song dropped. 


Spotify might have been the answer to piracy, but it is nevertheless a very inconvenient alternative. Earlier this evening, I discovered that two of my favorite albums were apparently 'unplayable' on Spotify. I will admit that I did need an excuse to start a rant on music consumption in context of the previous decade, and what better than a bug destroying your mood on a lovely evening? 


Come to think of it, this tirade probably stemmed from that brief moment of sadness that accompanies the rigorous activity of deleting some 2.5GB worth of pirated music. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clockwork Orange

Language as a Witness

What is The Lazy Eye?